Saturday, October 8, 2011

Chronicle of our Camping Trip

This weekend we went camping at Big Sur.  We decided it would be the best weekend to try because of the holiday. However, things went a little bit awry.  Big Sur has several different camping sites, and we decided on Limekiln (because they allowed walk-ins and they had showers).  Thursday I reserved the camping gear, Thursday evening we went shopping.  Friday morning I worked, and then when I got back, we packed up and went and picked up the gear at about 3:20.  We (Jake, Krystal, Andy, and myself) got everything packed into the 2 cars and we got on the road.  First we couldn't find ice for the coolers, then by the time we found ice it was already getting kind of late.  We FINALLY got on the road at about 4:50.  The gps estimated that we'd get to Limekiln by 6:05.  With traffic, and us stopping once to take pictures, we arrived at about 6:35.  I REALLY HAD TO PEE. But, the campsite was full and so we were locked out!  Now, all of the other Big Sur campsites were 45 minutes back the other way!  Somehow we had managed to pick the last one!  We found a small shop on the side of the road where I could pee, and there we re-grouped.  We decided to stop at all of the campsites on the way back, but everybody was already full!  We planned to go on home and try again the next day, but then by chance decided to stop at the very last camping ground, just to see if they had room!  And, they did! They had only a couple of spaces left, so we stopped.  By that time it was almost 8:00, and it was dark.  And cold. But, the boys found us a spot, and we set up camp.  We had to carry all of our shit quite a ways, and it was exhausting!  Also, we didn't have any firewood so it was coooooold!  It was past 9 at that point, we hadn't had any dinner, we had very little heat (just some charcoal in the pit with whatever little sticks the boys could find that weren't wet) and we were exhausted!  But, once we warmed up some stew that Andy had made and made up all the beds and stuff, it was so much more fun!  We roasted some marshmellows and went to bed! Andy read us a fairytale and we fell asleep.  In the night I heard coyotes around us twice, and it was kind of scary.  We awoke just past 7, made breakfast, and started adventuring!  We went to the river, and then to the beach, and it was awesome!  We had to cross really cold water to get to the beach, but it was worth it.  The waves were so huge, and there were cliffs and mountains around.
Since the campsite that we chose was more like a field with spots to camp in and not very secluded, we left the camp in search of a new one!  However every other single camping site was full!  So, we just came home!  Camping FAIL!

Next time, we decided to make reservations, be more organized, and execute the plan better. But, it was a beautiful drive, and it was fun while it lasted.   Here are some pictures from our trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment