First things first, about 6 weeks ago, I had my wisdom teeth removed. ACK! What a horrible experience! I had several people tell me having them done "wouldn't be that bad!" Well, I'm here to tell you that that's a vicious lie! Coming off of anesthesia is awful, being on the pain pills made me sick to my stomach, the pain not only in my mouth but also my jaws was not fun, and healing took FOREVER! The holes still aren't closed all the way, and I have to be vigilant about keeping food out so I don't get infected. I'm glad that having them removed is a once in a lifetime experience, because I would not repeat it ever again! One of the best things about having them removed when I did was that one of my best friends had hers removed the same day. We healed together (3,000 miles apart) and kept in touch about various torturous aspects of recovery.
A week and a half after my oral surgery I started my nanny job. For the whole month of June (and yesterday too) I worked 10 hours a day as a nanny for two boys, ages 6 and 10. In the mornings, I'd get up at 6:30, pack up, take Jake to work, and then head straight to their house. From 7:30-5:30 Monday through Friday I was with kids. What a month! I was so tired after work that some days I couldn't even make dinner, let alone do things like laundry and cleaning. I now have so much more respect for single moms, because I don't know how they can work full time and then still do all the housework things that need to be done! It was a great experience, and the kids were super sweet....BUT, kids bickering all day wears me out like nothing else. Seriously, after getting a puppy, babysitting kids is probably the best kind of birth control there is.
Speaking of dogs...Archer has had a very expensive mystery ailment for the last 7 weeks. His pre-puce (the front part of his penis but not his actual penis) has had ulcers popping up, as well as being inflamed and swollen. The first vet visit, the vet pulled out what she thought looked like a small sticker. He was put on antibiotics for 10 days. The day after the antibiotics were finished, the ulcers came back with a vengeance. We went in again, she checked in all of the ulcers, found nothing, flushed them out with solution, and sent us home with stronger antibiotics and a steroid. We finished the antibiotics, but have stayed on the steroid ever since. We've been back in, the vet has taken swabs and cultures and sent those away to be tested. Four hundred twenty dollars later (that was just for those godforsaken cultures), we have negative results, and no more idea of what it could be. The vet now wants to do a biopsy, which would include having to put him under, which is about the most expensive thing you can do! It's so frustrating because we don't have any answers, and it's just a problem that's hemorrhaging money....not great right before a cross-country move. I showed a picture of Archer's issue (when it was at it's worst) to a friend who's ex-BIL is a vet. He showed it to said BIL, and this vet said that a tiny piece of sticker is probably still in there, and it's causing the problems. I think that's a much more reasonable assumption than an auto-immune disorder that we may never cure...so we're switching to the new vet for this particular problem. So...after we've weaned Archer off of his steroids, we'll go in, put Archer under, and this vet will go searching for the elusive bit of sticker that's causing the problems. I pray that we will find a solution soon, because I really don't want to be dealing with this during the move.
Sorry to make this such a long post! A lot has happened in the past couple of weeks. This is our last month here, and Jake is about to take his final final final test. I'm hoping to leave August 1st, and start driving back to the East Coast!